Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Primark tells breastfeeding mother: 'Do that in the changing room or get out of the shop'

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Angry: Aimee Edwards with four week-old son George. She was apparently told by a Primark worker that her breast-feeding was offending other customers


A young mother breast-feeding her baby was ordered into a changing room at High Street chain Primark.

Aimee Edwards, 24, was feeding four-week-old George when a worker told her to use the changing room - or leave the store.

The married mother-of-four was so angry that she left her shopping and walked out.

Mrs Edwards said: 'A woman shop assistant said if I wanted to breastfeed I had to go in the changing rooms or leave the store.

'She said it was offending other customers, but there were hardly any other shoppers near me.

'I thought she was joking at first as I have never had a problem in any other shop before.'

Mrs Edwards was shopping with her husband Ben and their children Ruby, three, and Morgan, 20 months, when baby George needed feeding.

Mrs Edwards said: 'It's natural for a mum to feed her baby. Why should people feel offended? It's not as if they can see anything.

'I don't see why I should have to hide it. I was with my daughter and I want her to grow up thinking it is a natural part of life.

'I should not be made to feel ashamed. If that's their attitude then I don't know if I want to shop in a place like that.

'I have breast-fed all my children and I have never had this reaction. I don't even think about doing it now after having four children.'

Mrs Edwards from Bridgend, South Wales, was in the Swansea branch of the discount clothes store when the row broke out.

She said: 'I put my shopping down and left the store.

'I think it's disgusting that I was doing something natural and I was faced with an ultimatum.

'If people don't like it then don't look. As campaigns say "breast is best", and then you get this kind of reaction.'

A spokesman for Primark, which has 143 stores across the UK, told Mail Online that the company had 'taken steps to ensure breastfeeding is better understood by all employees'.

'A supervisor in Primark Swansea approached a customer who was breastfeeding in the store and offered her the use of a fitting room cubicle which she felt would be more comfortable and would afford some privacy,' said the spokesman.

'Unfortunately, she inadvertently caused offence to the customer who mistakenly perceived that she was not welcome to breastfeed in the store.

'It was not the supervisor's intention to cause any offence - rather to offer assistance.

'However, we sincerely regret any upset that this incident may have caused and have taken steps to ensure that the company policy on breastfeeding is better understood by all Primark employees.

'Primark customers are welcome to breastfeed whilst shopping in our stores should they wish to do so. If any customer requires privacy for this purpose, every effort will be made to accommodate this request where possible.'


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment