Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I see you: Amy Winehouse is all blue as celebrities get the Avatar treatment

By Daily Mail Reporter

I see you: Even as an Avatar singer Amy Winehouse hasn't ditched her cigarette habit

Avatar may have been beaten to Oscar glory by the Hurt Locker, but its pop-culture impact shows no sign of dimming as these hilarious 'Avatized' celebs show.

These famous faces have been given the full Avatar treatment, making them look like the now iconic blue striped, 10-foot aliens from director James Cameron's sci-fi epic.

Created by 22-year old San Francisco-based photo-shop wizard Robert Paulson, everyone from Amy Winehouse, to Susan Boyle has been 'Avatized'.

Avatar may have been beaten to Oscar glory by the Hurt Locker, but its pop-culture impact shows no sign of dimming as these hilarious 'Avatized' celebs show.

These famous faces have been given the full Avatar treatment, making them look like the now iconic blue striped, 10-foot aliens from director James Cameron's sci-fi epic.

Created by 22-year old San Francisco-based photo-shop wizard Robert Paulson, everyone from Amy Winehouse, to Susan Boyle has been 'Avatized'.

Originally conceived as a piece of fun by film student Robert after he went to see the movie, he was spurred on to create more as the film went on to break all box-office records.

Taking in the full 3-D glory of fictional Pandora three times since the films December release, Robert has now carved a Na'vi sized niche for himself among fans of the film as the 'Avatizer'.

'I had never used Photoshop really before this,' said Robert.


Blue day: Susan Boyle is among the 200 celebrities given the Avatar treatment by San Francisco-based photo-shop wizard Robert Paulson

'Apart from a couple of school projects my experience was pretty much what everyone else's is.

'However, after seeing the film I saw a picture of Tilda Swinton, the British actress next to George Clooney where she towered over him.

'I thought that reminded me of the scene in the movie where the character Jake Sully is rescued by the Na'vi princess.

'So I set about making Tilda a Na'vi.'


Off duty Na'vi: Peter Andre's alter ego relaxes in a white tracksuit

Posting the results online, Robert's confidence grew after receiving positive feedback on the web.


And here's the Oscars version: Ben Stiller dressed as a Na'vi to present the award for best make-up


'I started to take in my favourite film stars and television show stars too,' explained Robert.

'It used to take me around four hours to do the first ones, but now with your average Photoshop programme and a trusty PC it takes me around two hours.

'I am still a perfectionist about it though. I feel that I can never get the look of the yellow eyes, with their hypnotic irises and pupils and the Na'vi's glowing dots to my satisfaction. Yet.'

Having completed over 100 examples of celebrity Avatar makeovers, Robert is now more than ever aware of the physical differences between humans and the fictional Na'vi.
'You want to get the tail and the fact that they have three fingers and a thumb right," said Robert.

'I must have spent over 200 hours on this project so far, which is good considering I just finished college and am now looking for a job.

'But, jokes aside, it has given me a huge appreciation of the skill and detail and genius of James Cameron and his team on a technical level.'

Impressed by Avatar's Oscar haul in the technical categories, Robert was not surprised by its failure to win the coveted Best Picture Oscar.

'I must admit, that it is not my favourite film of 2009. That was the District Nine, the South African sci-fi film about alien refugees,' said Robert.


Spot the difference: It's not just the skin and eye colour which is different - Jonathan Ross's Avatar tail sneaks out from beneath his jacket while his hand has three fingers and a thumb


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment