Thursday, February 4, 2010

Boy, 10, loses nearly three stone at diet club after bullies tease him over weight

Before and after: Oscar with his sister, left, weighing 10stone 8lb, and after losing 2stone 8lb, right


A boy of ten who was bullied at school because of his weight has silenced his tormentors by becoming one of Britain’s youngest super-slimmers – and losing nearly three stone.

Oscar Williams joined a dieting club after being teased by other pupils at his primary school for piling on the pounds.

And just 18 weeks after signing up with the Slim Easy club in Bury, Greater Manchester, he reached his goal weight of 8stone by shedding a massive 2stone 8lb.

Oscar, who is 4ft 8in tall, was so keen to get fit that he twice won the Slimmer of the Month award

Today Oscar’s mother Cathy Williams, 44, said: ‘Every mother is proud of their child, but what Oscar has achieved has been amazing.

‘I hope this gives other children who are overweight and want to lose weight the boost that they need.’

Oscar who attends SS Osmund and Andrew’s Roman Catholic School near his home in Bolton went on his diet after teasing led him to become quiet and withdrawn.

Mrs Williams added: ‘In a way, it was my fault. I gave him the food he wanted because I loved him, and really, I was killing him.

‘At the end of last summer, Oscar changed.

‘He became withdrawn, never wanted to go out with his friends, then eventually, he opened up and talked to me and told me he had been teased about his size and the usual name calling.

‘We sat down and talked together. I spoke to his teachers who have been very supportive and encouraged Oscar along the way.’

Oscar now eats a well balanced, healthy diet and smaller portion meals and enjoys sweets as a treat.

He said: ‘I feel much better and am more healthy and active. It was horrible being called names and not being able to run as fast as other people.

‘I showed my trophies to the school and I hope I got across the healthy eating message.’


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment