Thursday, January 21, 2010

Short on stature, long on thuggery: three foot nine inch tiny teen gets an Asbo

By Jaya Narain

Mini menace: Liam Wilkinson

At just 3ft 9in, Liam Wilkinson shouldn't pose too big a problem for his neighbours.
But the 19-year-old, who is the height of a child of six, has brought fear and terror to his home town with his thuggery.

He has hurled threats and foul-mouthed insults at neighbours, clambered over roofs and rampaged through gardens.

His many drunken binges have seen him pelt passer-bys with stones and eggs.

Yesterday magistrates issued him with an antisocial behaviour order in an attempt to end his offending.

One of his neighbours in Chorley, Lancashire, said yesterday: 'That lad is an absolute menace.

'People might feel sorry for him because of his size but he has caused all sorts of problems with his drinking and vandalism.

'He would be forever throwing eggs or stones at people and some locals were very frightened of him.

'He's obviously very distinctive and people were worried he would kick off at them whenever they saw him in the street.

'We're just relieved he is getting his comeuppance at last. The fact he is only small doesn't make him any less of a yob.'

Another woman said: 'He may be only a little guy but he can cause a lot of mischief and a lot of people have been affected.

'I just hope this calms him down because living near him has been a total nightmare. I'm sure he is intelligent enough to turn his life around and try to do something constructive with his time.'


Liam Wilkinson, 19, arriving at Chorley Magistrates Court with his mother


Wilkinson appeared before Chorley magistrates last month where an interim order was made before the full Asbo was issued yesterday.

After the earlier hearing, Wilkinson, who suffers from a hereditary growth disorder, which also affects his sister, said he would welcome an Asbo. 'I want to turn my life around,' he said. 'I don't want to go to prison. I know I have done wrong in the past, but I just want a fresh start.

Under cover: The tiny thug yesterday

'I know the Asbo will keep me out of trouble and I want to because I know what I am doing is making my mum ill


Under cover: The tiny thug yesterday


'I know the Asbo will keep me out of trouble and I want to because I know what I am doing is making my mum ill.

'I feel like I'm made to be a scapegoat sometimes because of my height, but what I do has nothing to do with how tall I am.

'When I drink I get really angry for no reason at all and then I get angry at other people.

'Getting an Asbo is like getting a second chance and I want to sort my anger issues out.'

Wilkinson, who is known to friends as 'Little Liam', said he had been in trouble since the age of ten.

His Asbo forbids him being drunk or being in possession of any open container of alcohol in public.

It also orders him not to throw any object, including stones and eggs, in such a way as to cause damage, alarm, harassment or distress.

And he must not enter or loiter on property, including gardens, unless invited to do so by the occupant.

PC Gavin Daw of Lancashire Police said Wilkinson's size made him easy to spot among a group of troublemakers. He added: 'The feedback from the community is that Liam has been trouble for them over a number of years.'


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment