Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Adam Ant Stands and Delivers his comeback with a greatest hits tour... and Sachsgate girl Georgina Baillie is with him

By Daily Mail Reporter


Comeback: Adam Ant announced his Greatest Hits tour with new band The Good, The Bad and the Lovely Posse, to begin in May, in London today


Eighties sensation Adam Ant is making a comeback with his first tour in 15 years.

The Stand And Deliver and Prince Charming hitmaker appeared onstage at the Under The Bridge club in Chelsea today to announce his new act, The Good, The Mad And The Lovely Posse, which will embark on a UK Greatest Hits tour in May.

And the singer - once voted sexiest man in America - will be joined by Georgina Baillie, the dancer and model who was at the centre of the Sachsgate scandal.


The 56-year-old said today: 'I'm really looking forward to it.'

Ant - real name Stuart Goddard - said he was returning to performing because, 'I missed it - that's what I do. And the money.'

Ant will play a 15-date tour starting in Brighton on May 16 which includes Birmingham, Glasgow, London and Liverpool.

He said these days he got more of a buzz out of performing 'now I know what I'm doing.'

The Good, the Bad and the Lovely Posse: Sachsgate girl Georgina Baillie (far left) is touring with the Eighties singer

Georgina Baillie, who also lends her voice to Ant's upcoming album, apparently to be titled Adam Ant is the Blueblack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter, provides backing vocals on the tour along with Georgina Leahy.

Baillie, 25, is the granddaughter of actor Andrew Sachs and was the subject of crude messages from Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross which were played on Radio 2 in 2008.

The incident - known as 'Sachsgate' caused a furore and led to Brand and the station controller resigning. It also contributed to Ross leaving the BBC last year.

In recent years Ant has made headlines for his mental health problems. In 2002, he threatened drinkers at a North London pub with an imitation pistol, but escaped a jail term on the grounds of mental illness.

In 2009 Ant, who has dated Jamie Lee Curtis and Heather Graham, said that he intended to make a comeback for the sake of his daughter Lily, now 14.

‘She has never seen Adam perform and doesn’t know what The Ants were all about,’ he said at the time.


Eighties hitmaker: The 56-year-old has said previously that he wants to make a comeback because his daughter Lily has never seen him perform

‘I’ve had this lifelong battle against manic depression, but I’ve had to overcome it for her sake. Times got bad. I lost my mind. But I’m back.’

He says his problems began when he got married – ‘too young’ – at 21. ‘I tried to commit suicide with an overdose,’ he's admitted previously.

‘After I broke up the band, I went to America to try to make it there, and a crazy woman started stalking me. That sent me over the edge again, and I did time in a Miami psychiatric clinic.’



source:dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment