Wednesday, November 18, 2009

10 Questions for Tony Hawk

Veteran skateboarded Tony Hawk
Jodty Morris

How many skateboards do you own?

Elizabeth DeLee

BATON ROUGE, LA.

I have probably about 100 I've collected through the years. Some I kept that were special to me for whatever happened on them. But I don't keep a ton of them for use on a day-to-day basis. Once I get used to a skateboard, it's a part of me. It's really hard to break another one in.

Is skating an escape for you?

Ashlie Meyer, CINCINNATI, OHIO

Absolutely. I feel like I use all of my energy and all of my focus when I do it. It gives me a way to express myself and be creative yet athletic, and I never found that with any other sport.

Some people don't consider skateboarding to be a sport. What would you say to that?

Allie Lane, DERRY, N.H.

I don't want to name names. I'm just saying many Olympic sports require less physical effort and less talent than skateboarding.

What other sports do you play?

Rees Clasen

NEWPORT BEACH, CALIF.

I really enjoy snowboarding and surfing. I used to play basketball and baseball when I was younger. Other than that, whatever my kids decide we're doing for the day, that's what I'm playing.

What goes through your mind midflip in the air, with people watching and your body dangerously high above ground?

Jen Meckles, COLUMBIA, MO.

How am I going to land, and what am I going to do next? I don't think about the people so much. If you get caught up in the moment and start to question yourself, that's when you get in trouble.

What was your worst skateboarding injury?

Eric Wise, VENICE, CALIF.

Five or six years ago, I fell from the top of one of those loop ramps. I broke my pelvis, fractured my thumb and my skull and got a pretty heavy concussion. That was a bad day.

Have you noticed any physical limitations from your body yet, as far as skating goes?

Adrien Metheny

BOYNTON BEACH, FLA.

It takes me a lot longer to bounce back from injuries now. But to be honest, I can keep doing it mostly on the level that I've been able to for the last 10 years or so. Obviously, I'm getting older, and there are things that I don't want to push the limits of, but I can still do almost all the tricks that I used to do.

Do you think one can still learn how to skate at the age of 25?

Katharina Schwermer

BIELEFELD, GERMANY

Why not? I think if you're motivated and you're not afraid to put some effort into it and maybe take a couple spills along the way, sure. It's easier to learn when you're younger because you develop a sense of balance through your youth and teenage years. But I would never discourage someone from learning how to skate.

With skateboarding so countercultural, what are your thoughts on becoming a pop-culture icon because of it?

Billy Worden

GRAND LEDGE, MICH.

When I turned professional, it was like being a professional Frisbee player. To be recognized for something that was totally uncool when I was a kid is strange. I went to the White House. I was on The Simpsons. It's all so unbelievable.

As a new dad who loves sports and wants to one day inspire his son, I am wondering what advice you have that either your dad gave you or you have given your kids.

Warren McDougall

VANCOUVER

Do what you love doing. Even if it's something different and it's not considered cool, if you love doing it, you will thrive in it and eventually you'll be happy because you continued to do it. I was the youngest of four, and by the time I came around, my dad had seen it all. So he was just like, "Go, just do it. Whatever it is." He was really supportive, and I was lucky in that. That's the same kind of approach I have with my kids. If they love doing it, I don't care if it's not considered the cool thing or if they're not going to get a varsity letter. I want them to be happy, and I want them to enjoy themselves.


source: Time.com

No comments:

Post a Comment